About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Thursday, September 20, 2012

'Saiyaara' - Daughter's Day Special


Click the link to see what is new on my Art Blog for ‘Daughter’s Day’ before you read this post. The painting at the link is a reason to relate with this post. I saw a painting and inspired by the beauty of nature, I decided to reproduce the same. I thought what would I name this painting and I could only think of a word from Urdu language – ‘Saiyaara’ (means ‘Planet’).


“A desire arises in the mind. It is satisfied immediately another comes. In the interval which separates two desires a perfect calm reigns in the mind. It is at this moment freed from all thought, love or hate. Complete peace equally reigns between two mental waves.”

Dense clouds hiding the sunset and stormy sea with high tides hitting the shore is a rare combination of nature. I want to use this painting to blog a post for the coming ‘Daughter’s Day’, 23rd September, 2012.

A quote –

“Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.” --Robert Henri.

Planet ‘Earth’ is our home and we are just given one life to live. As a girl or woman in India, our own home has become the most unsafe place to live.

It stops us from coming forward or chasing our dreams as we are always reminded about the society and social obligations. My friend wanted to learn ‘MMA’ but she was not given a chance as making/cooking food is more requisite criteria to get a better groom than learning Mixed Martial Arts. 

Carrying your maiden name as part of your changed name (post marriage) is a big fight for some women in India. I felt that most of the time like charity begins at home, my fight to live my liberty as a woman started from my home as a daughter and a daughter-in-law.

But I did not give up as I am given one life and I want to live it at my terms and conditions. I respect my family's sentiments as a daughter and daughter-in-law but I respect my wishes as a human being too. I wanted to study ‘Literature’ being a science student and I fought with my parents to do so. In 1998, I was told to fund my education myself when I was hardly 18 years old and that is not so easy being in India. I took it as a challenge and started working while I was doing my graduation and further studies. 
My day used to start at 6:30 AM and end at 10 PM and I used to save every single penny to pay my fees.

I have no regrets as that decision taught me many good things about life and to understand my abilities as a person. I was financially independent at a younger age that made me understand the value of ‘money’ and respect for my ‘job’. I must say, it was a good decision as I started early so I retired early due to my medical condition BUT I lived the way I wanted to live, study and work. I was in control of my decision and I listened to my heart.  I have no regrets today as if I am able to write a book or these blogs, it is because of my decision to study, ‘Literature’.

Follow your dreams. Listen to your heart. Have good control over your mind. But being a daughter or daughter-in-law, DO NOT STOP following your dreams just because what would society think. People will judge irrespective of all the contributions you make being a daughter or daughter-in-law. Respect them but do not Expect from them. You have to prove yourself that starts from your home.

I travelled a tough journey from being addressed as ‘Archana Kapoor’ to ‘Archana Kapoor Nagpal’. In my community, women are not supposed to carry their maiden name as a part of their changed name but I DID IT!

At the end, Archana mattersJ to me more than anything else. My achievements brought both ‘Kapoor’ and ‘Nagpal’ into limelight. But it was not known 7 years back so my fight was not an easy one. But if you think you can dream then you should have the courage to chase it and make it!

Be a proud daughter and a prouder daughter-in-lawJ. I am sure sooner or later your decision will bring fame to your families as well.

Love to all the daughters!